[MEncoder-users] A/V synchronization problem using mencoder

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Wed Mar 30 02:15:19 CEST 2005

Phil Ehrens wrote:
> Xie Bo wrote:
> > > Anyway this whole commandline is stupid. There are proper tools for
> > > copying a DVD to hard drive. Remuxing it is very bad since you'll lose
> > > the subtitles, etc.
> > >
> > Please tell me what's the proper tools for copying a DVD to hard drive. Can MEncoder do it?
>
> There are other tools, but this is what I use, and it
> works very well (and is VERY easy to install):
>
> http://dvd.chevelless230.com/dvdbackup.html

Ah, almost forgot. Whereas dvdbackup WILL decrypt, it will leave
the region code intact. Deregionalise using this C program:

 /* compile me:                        */
 /*   gcc -o region-zero region-zero.c */
 /* set my perms:                      */
 /*   chmod 0755 region-zero           */
 /* move me to someplace useful:       */
 /*   mv region-zero /usr/local/bin    */
 /* run me in directory VIDEO_TS       */

 main() {
    FILE * fd;
    fd = fopen("VIDEO_TS.IFO","r+");
    fseek(fd,0x23,SEEK_SET); /* hex position 0x23 is the region code byte */
    putc(0x0,fd);            /* write zeros to all the region code bits */
 }