[MEncoder-users] container conversion from WMV to MOV?

lists at ropersonline.com lists at ropersonline.com
Mon Mar 28 18:13:14 CEST 2005

On 27 Mar 2005, at 17:39, RC wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:26:01 +0100
> lists at ropersonline.com wrote:
>
>> Now, what I want to do, I want to do a "container-level" conversion
>> from the .WMV file to a .MOV file, that is I want to not touch the
>> actual TSCC stream contained in the file -- so that I'm starting with
>> .WMV file containing a TSCC stream and I'm getting a .MOV file
>> containing a TSCC stream. (No, simply renaming the file doesn't work,
>> tried that.)
>> This should allow me to then play the video with QuickTime+EnSharpen.
>
> ffmpeg -i INPUT.WMV -acodec copy -vcodec copy -f mov OUTPUT.MOV
>
> mencoder can only output MPEG or AVI, definately not MOV.  The above
> will do the conversion you want, but that doesn't necessarily mean the
> video will play for you.  There could potentially be many other
> issues.

Thanks for your reply.
Sadly, I've not (yet?) been successful with this.

I'm crossposting to ffmpeg-user at lists.sourceforge.net (cf.
reading that mencoder can't do the desired conversion, this issue
really pertains to ffmpeg then.

The ffmpeg version I'm using is:

ffmpeg version 0.4.9-pre1, build 4750, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice
Bellard
   configuration:
   built on Mar 27 2005 18:44:34, gcc: 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer,
Inc. build 1495)

I've tried:

	ffmpeg -i intro_1.wmv -acodec copy -vcodec copy -f mov intro_1.mov

and what I get is:

ffmpeg version 0.4.9-pre1, build 4750, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice
Bellard
   configuration:
   built on Mar 27 2005 18:44:34, gcc: 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer,
Inc. build 1495)
Input #0, asf, from 'intro_1.wmv':
   Duration: 00:35:00.7, start: 4.923000, bitrate: 25 kb/s
   Stream #0.0: Audio: 0x000a, 11025 Hz, mono, 10 kb/s
   Stream #0.1: Video: MSS2, 640x480, 1000.00 fps
Output #0, mov, to 'intro_1.mov':
   Stream #0.0: Video: MSS2, 640x480, 1000.00 fps, q=2-31
   Stream #0.1: Audio: 0x000a, 11025 Hz, mono, 10 kb/s
Stream mapping:
   Stream #0.1 -> #0.0
   Stream #0.0 -> #0.1
Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?)

however:

$ ffmpeg -i intro_1.wmv -acodec copy -vcodec copy -f avi intro_1.avi

"works", but sadly it does not produce a file QuickTime can read with
the EnSharpen codec.

I then did some more searching and found that *supposedly* the
Techsmith Screen Capture Codec (TSCC) is supported by ffmpeg (at least
in principle) either through a file tscc.c or though a Windows DLL
tsccvid.dll.
Now I don't know if the tscc.c and Windows DLL solutions really depend
on each other and are part of the same thing. I am fairly certain
however, that I can't use the DLL because this is on an iBook running
Mac OS X 10.3.8.

Does anyone has any further ideas on this?
Again, I want to either do a container-level conversion from wmv file
format to mov file format or find a way to view/convert the wmv file
format EnSharpen encoded video in some other way.

Many thanks,

Thanks and regards,
Jens Ropers
----