[MEncoder-users] mplayer cannot play AC3 anymore

Guillaume Poirier poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 14:34:10 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:58:17 +0200, Stefan Frings
<mencoder at meinemullemaus.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just uploaded the first 4MB of one problematic movie. The filename is
> ac3_crash.mpg
>
> I'm familiar with C programming but I never used the debugger. I think I will
> learn it in near future.
>
> I followed your debug instructions step by step. This is what I got:
>
> Starting playback...

> [Switching to Thread -1221443456 (LWP 22192)]
> 0xb7e7cdc7 in a52_free () from /usr/local/lib/libavcodec.so
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0xb7e7cdc7 in a52_free () from /usr/local/lib/libavcodec.so
> #1  0xb7e7bd2a in a52_block () from /usr/local/lib/libavcodec.so
> #2  0x080e2a07 in decode_audio (sh_audio=0x0, buf=0x83bea00 "", minlen=65536,

Ok, it looks to me that the problem is either in libavcodec or liba52.

> I cannot follow the next steps because I did not find a core file. Do I need
> to enable it somewhere?

Just type "unlimit" on the terminal before starting playback. This
will allow the system to generate the core file. Please note that this
file can be fairly huge.

> I saw that the program crashed in livavcodec.so. I installed ffmpeg-0.4.9-pre1
> which included the following files. Do you have another version?

I use ffmpeg for cvs. Somehow, I think that it's not recommended to
use an external libavcodec.so with MPlayer-cvs, as it can be outdated.
You should build MPlayer with libavcodec from cvs too.
You can find more informations at the bottom of that page:
http://mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html or read this entry of
the faq: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/faq.html#id2883097

I do think this should fix you problem. If it doesn't, try to
uninstall ffmpeg if you installed it as package, or try to remove
libavcodec.so* _before_  configuring and building MPlayer.

Ultimately, you could try to build a static version of MPlayer
(./configure --enable-static).

Regards,
Guillaume