[MEncoder-users] Problem producing raw avi files

jiho jo.irisson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 00:05:25 CET 2005

Hi list,

I used to find great support on the mplayer mailing list. I'm confident
it will be the same here, so:

I am importing a video sequence from a digital camera (SONY handycam if
that matters) into an AVI file. the file is encoded with some codec
from the importing software (Cinepack codec by radius). I want to
convert this file to raw AVI in order to open it as a sequence of
images in ImageJ a great, free, java image processing software (
http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/ ). It uses a plugin named AVI reader which
is described here: http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/plugins/avi-reader.html
if by any chance someone knows this software.

Anyway, I am doing this:
$ mencoder ownfor.avi -ofps 2 -ss 10 -endpos 3 -ovc raw -ffourcc RAW
I added the -ffourcc option as
$ mencoder -ovc help
outputs:
[...]
    raw      - uncompressed video. Use fourcc option to set format
explicitly.
[...]
The fourcc code was found on:
http://www.fourcc.org/index.php?http%3A//www.fourcc.org/intro.php

But trying to open the file in ImageJ answers "An error occured reading
the file. AVI file must be uncompressed"

$ mplayer test. avi
nonetheless outputs:
[...]
Opening video decoder: [raw] RAW Uncompressed Video
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
VO: [sdl] 720x480 => 720x480 Planar YV12
Selected video codec: [rawyv12] vfm:raw (RAW YV12)
[...]

I wonder if maybe there is some encoding left from the first time the
file was encoded to AVI. does the raw codec uncompresses everything?
it might also be possible that ImageJ's plugin is less performant in
detecting the file type than mplayer and that my fourcc code is wrong.
does someone knows what I should specify?
Is there a reason why it could be better if I download the video from
the camera as an MPEG movie?
By any chance, has someone tried to use mencoder to produce some input
for ImageJ?

thanks in advance.

I'm using mplayer/mencoder on Mac OS 10.3.8
MPlayer dev-CVS-040301-16:10-3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
(I know it' not the latest...)

JiHO
---
   Windows, c'est un peu comme le beaujolais nouveau :
a chaque nouvelle cuvee on sait que ce sera degueulasse,
     mais on en prend quand meme par masochisme.
---
http://jo.irisson.free.fr/