[MEncoder-users] Cannot encode to mpeg2

Stefan Frings mencoder at meinemullemaus.de
Fri Mar 25 23:54:41 CET 2005

> you can also run
> mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts ... -oac copy -ovc copy dvb://CHANNEL

Good idea. I tried this already with an older version. There are two problems:

mplayer does not work properly with my DVB-T driver. Thsi is a known issue as
the driver programme told me and he thinks that the driver is buggy.

So I used tzap and simply copied the stream from the DVB-T device to a file
and tried the same mencoder arguments with this file.

But then dvdauthor outputs thousand of warnings and then finally stops with a
read error message. I thinks that this is no wonder because the signal from
the DVB-T device contains naturally data errors.

The program replex is based on the same idea and it produces the same problem.

Following the example of commercial DVD recorders, I prefer to re-encode the
movie until I find a quicker solution. The time that I need for re-encoding
is less than 1 hour, and this is ok for me.