[MEncoder-users] Cannot encode to mepg2

Stefan Frings mencoder at meinemullemaus.de
Fri Mar 25 23:03:00 CET 2005

> About the bitrate I observed that 1600 kb/s for a PAL encode  (with my
> settings, so with longer gops) look
> already incredibly good on TV, although it's considered extremely low by
> other people; lavc really make miracles at low bitrate.
> Obviously the more bits you give it the better :)

I just tested it. You are right and this surprised me absolutely. Initially I
wanted to set the bitrate to 8000 but now I tried 2000. The interesting thing
is, that I see only minimum differences.

I assume that you spent lot of time to find the optimum arguments. I'm really
thankful that you told me your results.