[MEncoder-users] cannot encode to mpeg2

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Fri Mar 25 22:41:59 CET 2005

Stefan Frings wrote:

>>you can also run
>>mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts ... -oac copy -ovc copy dvb://CHANNEL
>>

>Good idea. I tried this already with an older version. There are two problems:
>
>mplayer does not work properly with my DVB-T driver. Thsi is a known issue as
>the driver programme told me and he thinks that the driver is buggy.

what card and drivers?

>So I used tzap and simply copied the stream from the DVB-T device to a file
>and tried the same mencoder arguments with this file.

mind that when muxing to dvd from  a DVB capture there are certain
things to consider:

usually when muxing mpeg files you should use -mc 0 -noskip to prevent
mencoder from dropping frames
and -vf hardddup when encoding, for the same reason.
When muxing dvb captures there's often an initial A/V delay that you can
either let mencoder fix its way
(as in the case of avi) that has the side effect of inserting temporal
discontinuities (usually only few at the beginning);
this should be avoided as much as possible, but if you find it
comfortable how mencoder syncs audio and video
and if you are willing to sacrify an initial segment (the one corrupted)
it is (IMO) worth using (I often do, and successfully).
The second way is to use as always -mc 0 -noskip + -mpegopts vdelay=zzz
or -mpegopts init_apts=x:init_vpts=y
to correct asynchrony; in this case you have to determine how much audio
is ahead of video

>But then dvdauthor outputs thousand of warnings and then finally stops with a
>read error message. I thinks that this is no wonder because the signal from
>the DVB-T device contains naturally data errors.

it is to be expected

>The program replex is based on the same idea and it produces the same problem.

the few times that it works ...

>Following the example of commercial DVD recorders, I prefer to re-encode the
>movie until I find a quicker solution. The time that I need for re-encoding
>is less than 1 hour, and this is ok for me.

yes, thanks to lavc :)