[MEncoder-users] Changing (down-sampling) the bit rate?

Vacuum Joe vacuumjoe at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 03:54:37 CET 2005

Hello Mencoders,

I have a question: I have a file (an MP3) and I want
to transform them into WAV files.  Here's the hitch: I
want to transform them into lower-bitrate WAV files.
I know, I'm losing sound quality by doing that
(obviously) but it is for a special application.

I tried doing this (all on one line):

mplayer -aop list=resample:fout=16000 -ao pcm -aofile
beastie.wav -channels 1 beastie.mp3

and it did indeed produce a 16khz file, but all it did
was samples so the output was sped up from the
original and was unlistenable.

I assume there is some way to get mplayer to
downsample a music file.  Any sugestions?

Thanks