[MEncoder-users] Create VCD compliant mpegs with mencoder 1.03

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Tue Mar 15 23:37:40 CET 2005

Oliver Hummel wrote:

>Hi there
>I am using MEncoder 1.0pre3 on MorphOS (Unfortunatelly also the latest
>available Version) My Question, is it possible to create vcd compliant mpegs
>with mencoder? This is my commandline for encoding:

1.0pre3 ??????
it at least 1 year old, use mencoder from cvs instead-

>mencoder "Laptop:Programme/eMule/Incoming/Die w„ächter Teil 3 Ein Reiter In Der Sonne By Freya.avi" -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>acodec=mp2:abitrate=224:vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1152:vhq:trell:aspect=4/3:vrc_maxrate=1152:vrc_minrate=1152 -af resample=44100:0:2 -srate 44100 -vop scale=352:288 -of mpeg -o backup:wächtertest.mpg

something like this is much better

mencoder "Laptop:Programme/eMule/Incoming/Die w„ächter Teil 3 Ein Reiter In Der Sonne By Freya.avi" -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts
acodec=mp2:abitrate=224:vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1152:mbd=2:aspect=4/3:vrc_maxrate=1152:vrc_minrate=1152:keyint=15:vrc_buf_size=327 -af lavcresample=44100 -srate 44100 -vf scale=352:-10,expand=352:288 -of mpeg -mpegopts format=xvcd -o backup:wächtertest.mpg

>As you can see, i also adjusted min and max rate to get a cbr instead of
>vbr to be 100% percent vcd compliant. But if i try and generate a vcd with vcdimager out of such a stream, it still is padding the stream.
>So i guess there is something sector related here, but is it possible to fix
>it? And as I mentioned above, I am using MorphOS for this, so it is no
>option to use other Tools, as they may simply not exist ;-)

yes

>The Problem with such autopadded streams is, that a) it is unpredictable how
>big the the streams will be afterwards (the above example gave together with
>a second episode a total vcd size of 780 MB instead of the expected 690) and
>b) those streams may be played as normal track, but not if you try to make a
>short movie as vcd menu.
>
>regards
>Oliver

please, note that the vcd muxer isn't CBR at all, that's why I called it
xvcd.
Anyway all dvd players I tested played the resulting vcd very well.
If it doesn't work, maybe using xsvcd + mpeg2video will result in a more
playable disk