[MEncoder-users] Can you slow down mencoder?

Jonathan Lundberg lundbej at rte.ie
Fri Mar 11 18:49:30 CET 2005

D Richard Felker III wrote:

>>This is very hackish, but it does work and I don't see a better solution.
>>You said your capture program is MEncoder, so:
>>
>>mkfifo input output1
>>mencoder tv:// -endpos 30:00 -o input -ovc raw -oac pcm &
>>cat input | tee output1 | mencoder - -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=100000 -oac pcm -o goodquality.avi &
>>

>Do NOT use cat here. All it will do is increase cpu usage. Instead:
>tee output1 < input | mencoder - -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=100000 -oac pcm -o goodquality.avi &

Hmm, ok snag  hit..

After 351 seconds every time I run it, the two mencoders that are
encoding to a file stop writing to the
file.  Though the mencoder processes continue running, a message on the
console says

ODML: Starting new RIFF chunk at 0MB.

When I kill the processes the summary says that they have encoded 350
seconds or thereabouts,
but the mencoder process that is capturing from the tv card reports that
it encoded however many
seconds it was until I actually manually killed it..

Thoughts?

Cheers,
J.

copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please note that emails to, from and within RTÉ may be subject to the Freedom
of Information Act 1997 and may be liable to disclosure.