[MEncoder-users] Can you slow down mencoder?

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 10 20:24:02 CET 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 17:39, Martin Ankerl wrote:
> # start capturing
> captureprog | tee testfilename.avi | mencoder settings-for-high-quality
> cat testfilename.avi | mencoder settings-for-low-quality

Whats the cat for?... That's redundant

This is very hackish, but it does work and I don't see a better solution.
You said your capture program is MEncoder, so:

mkfifo input output1
mencoder tv:// -endpos 30:00 -o input -ovc raw -oac pcm &
cat input | tee output1 | mencoder - -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=100000 -oac pcm -o goodquality.avi &
mencoder output1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=10000 -oac mp3lame -o badquality.avi

Change options as necessary obviously.
Do NOT use mencoder for capturing directly to stdout and then to tee.
MEncoder outputs too much garbage on stdout and on stderr.

Hope your CPU can handle it, you'll drop frames otherwise.

- ods15