[MEncoder-users] Can you slow down mencoder?

Jonathan Lundberg lundbej at rte.ie
Thu Mar 10 16:24:36 CET 2005

Hello all,

My situation is that I need to encode the same content from a video grab
card to two different
bitrates at the same time.  The files need to be ready for use at
roughly the same time (ie, the end
of the show!).  Unlike Windows Media Encoder, or Helix Producer, it's
not possible with mencoder
to grab to two different output rates at the same time (or am I wrong???).

What I have to do is grab from the tv capture card to filename.avi, and
while it's still grabbing from the
tv card, run mencoder against filename.avi to also produce an identical
file at a lower bitrate.  My
problem is that the second mencoder runs faster than real time, catches
up with the end of the file,
and then exits while the primary encode is still running.

Is it possible to slow down mencoder so that it also runs in realtime,
so that if I
start it running 10 seconds after the initial grab, it'll run second by
second against the file being grabbed,
instead of 'as fast as computerly possible'?

Or is there some other way to feed the content of filename.avi into
mencoder in real time for encoding?

Cheers,

Jonathan

copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please note that emails to, from and within RTÉ may be subject to the Freedom
of Information Act 1997 and may be liable to disclosure.