[MEncoder-users] Is mencoder working sequentially?

Hans-Carl Oberdalhoff hco at gmx.de
Sun Mar 6 17:22:18 CET 2005

Am Sonntag, 6. März 2005 17:10 schrieb Alexey:
> Hi all,
>
> will mencoder work with xvid in two pass mode correctly if I use
> something like () :
>
> cat *.VOB | mencoder xvid:pass1 -
> cat *.VOB | mencoder xvid:pass2 -
>
> I wonder whether mencoder is working sequentially throught the VOB files
> or if it accesses them randomly. In the latter case my method shouldnt
> work as far as I understand it.

MEncoder will take the input in the same order, as the cat-util will present
it.
This means you should explicitly name your files, if you want to be sure about
the order, like

cat file1.vob file2.vob file3.vob | mencoder

mencoder will not know about the files (or their order) this way AT ALL. It
will just receive a concatenated data-stream. (which is the purpose of
"cat").

Greetings,
hco