[MEncoder-users] Need Help with VOB files (will Pay for Consulting)

Andrew Edmond edmond at aravia.com
Fri Mar 4 09:31:16 CET 2005

All --

I am contracting for a company that is ripping it's DVD stock into AVI files
compressed with XviD.

I am taking the VOB files off a DVD using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode to get
one large VOB file.

We are using VirtualDubMpeg on Windows to do the transcoding (using this
because the transcoding is highly scriptable and most of our automated
system is already built around this, we have a rack of AMD64 machines
already built and running).

However VirtualDubMpeg doesn't properly handle VOB files (sigh), but it does
handle mpeg-ts files perfectly well.  About 30% of the DVDs we are ripping
are affected by audio / video sync issues because of the deficiencies of the
VirtualDubMpeg code to handle VOB files.  However, we are stuck with using
VirtualDub because we already have so much of our automated encoding harness
built (all of it really).

Therefore, I'm looking to mencoder to transform our one large VOB file from
the DVD into "clean" mpeg-ts file for VirtualDubMpeg to handle.  That way we
can rip a DVD into a VOB file, have a script run it through mencoder, and
then through VirtualDub, and wala!  We have clean XviD files in multiple bit
rates.

First off, does mencoder have the ability to turn VOB mpeg-ps files into
mpeg-ts files without a loss of any bits?

Second, I am looking for an mencoder expert to hire for a few hours to teach
us how to do this if possible.  We pay $50 / hour for your time.  Please
contact me private to discuss the consulting opportunity.

Thank you!

Andrew