[MEncoder-users] Trimming video

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Jun 26 21:43:38 CEST 2005

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 12:23:36PM -0500, Pete Davis wrote:

> > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:02:10 -0700
> > "Scott W. Larson" <scowl at pacifier.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I haven't seen anyone here
> > > who didn't want to learn about how something works.
> >
> > Really?  I've seen quite a few people on this list, from time to time,
> > who want everyone here to just tell them what command-line to use, and
> > don't want to bother to read docs, or understand any of the concepts.
> > Of course the large majority are trying to learn, but there's still
> > quite a few who can't be bothered.
> >

> Not everyone wants to take the time to be experts in every piece of software
> they use. Sometimes they just want to use the software.
>
> I use word processors all the time, but I don't have the need nor the time,
> for that matter, to become a word processing expert. If I can set the
> margins, fonts, and handle other basics, that fits most of my needs. I don't
> want to be bothered with all the other aspects of it because it's a waste of
> my time to learn stuff I'm never going to have to use.
>
> The same applies to any piece of software. Unless there's some reason I NEED
> to be an expert in it, why should I spend time becoming an expert in it?
> Software is supposed to make our lives easier, not harder.

Repairing video from the crap that studios release/broadcast into
something of decent quality IS a task at which you need to be an
expert. At the very least it requires thoroughly understanding what
they did to butcher it, and sometimes it even requires WRITING
specialized software for the particular content you're dealing with.
This is not child's play.

> While technically that is "ignorance," calling them ignorant, as Rich did,
> is a little harsh, I think. I'm sure a number of them are competent in areas
> that Rich is ignorant of and I'm sure he wouldn't want to be called ignorant
> if he asked them a question in one of those areas.

If I ask a question, no. If I presume I can do something I have no
idea about, then yes it's fair to call me ignorant.

Rich