[MEncoder-users] real-time encoding of DVB-S @ 900 MHz

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Jun 26 12:10:08 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 11:27:55PM +0100, Chris Howells wrote:
> On Saturday 25 June 2005 21:59, Moritz Beller wrote:
> > (such as MPEG-4 at a bit rate of 40!), but couldn't figure out one sole
> > which resulted in a CPU usage minor than 99%. I perform the decoding
> > task on a Pentium III 900 MHz, so I should at least be able to
> > real-time encode with medium-quality settings, shouldn't I?  (With
>
> My Athlon 64 3400+ can encode to xvid/MPEG4 in just over real time under
> Windows (about 30fps). Under FreeBSD with mencoder I get around 16fps which
> is well under real time. I'd say you have absolutely no chance on a P3.

Obviously you're not using options suitable for realtime encoding. I can
get about 60 fps with my Athlon 3200, but the files get big then.
E.g. with this commandline:
mencoder dvd:// -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=2:keyint=1 -o dvd.avi
You of course can't expect to get perfect quality, small files and
realtime encode together...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger