[MEncoder-users] real-time encoding of DVB-S @ 900 MHz

Chris Howells chris+mencoder-users at chrishowells.co.uk
Sun Jun 26 00:27:55 CEST 2005

On Saturday 25 June 2005 21:59, Moritz Beller wrote:

> The raw format produces much too large files. So I clearly need to do

It's not raw, it's compressed MPEG2.

> (such as MPEG-4 at a bit rate of 40!), but couldn't figure out one sole
> which resulted in a CPU usage minor than 99%. I perform the decoding
> task on a Pentium III 900 MHz, so I should at least be able to
> real-time encode with medium-quality settings, shouldn't I?  (With

My Athlon 64 3400+ can encode to xvid/MPEG4 in just over real time under
Windows (about 30fps). Under FreeBSD with mencoder I get around 16fps which
is well under real time. I'd say you have absolutely no chance on a P3.

> Mythtv I can even both watch and record, so there *must* be a way to
> achieve encoding with mencoder as well)

I imagine it just records the raw MPEG stream. What makes you think it does
anything different?

Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris at chrishowells.co.uk, howells at kde.org
Web: http://www.chrishowells.co.uk, PGP ID: 0x33795A2C
KDE/Qt/C++/PHP Developer: http://www.kde.org