[MEncoder-users] Trimming video

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Jun 25 04:38:59 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 04:26:30PM -0500, Pete Davis wrote:
> As for Rich's question about why pullup and pp=md, that was based on this
> page:
>
> http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/mplayer/tests/deinttest2/readme.html

This person is smoking crack. Most likely they captured the video with
a bttv card that ruins the chroma, or did some messed up cropping
prior to encoding. Do you have a contact email for this person so I
can let them know what they're doing wrong and ask them to take down
the misleading recommendations?

> And I have to say, the result sure seem better than pullup by itself. I

That's because their content is broken. Pullup is not helping at all
-- pp=md alone would have done just as well for their purpose.

> don't really understand how the filters operate, but like I tried pullup by
> itself and pullup with pp=md and it was much nicer.

Then this means pullup is not working on your content. Probably it's
not telecined material!!!

> I'm encoding mpegs that are coming straight from my Hauppauge PVR 150.  (cat
> /dev/video > myfile.mpg)

Yes, but is it 60i video or telecined 24p movie?

Rich