[MEncoder-users] Getting the sound right in a conversion from avi to mpg (mpeg2)

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Thu Jun 23 20:13:11 CEST 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, John Dickinson wrote:
> I am converting an avi file into an mpg file and seem to have gotten
> the video working well enough (thanks to people here).  However the
> audio is failing for me.  The final goal is to have an mpeg2 VCD
> compatible video file (with audio) for portability to the grandparents
> old VCD/DVD player.

VCD isn't mpeg2, it's mpeg1.  Maybe you mean SVCD, which is mpeg2?

> Here is the command:
> mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:mbd=2:keyint=
> 25:vrc_minrate=600:vbitrate=6000 -vf rotate=1 -oac lavc -af
> lavcresample=48000:srate=48000 in.avi -o test.mpg

Have you tried watching this video on the DVD player?  Mine won't play
anything with a bitrate much above 2600.  While I can make something with
a bitrate of 6000, and it burns fine to a SVCD, which I can then play
just fine on my computer, my DVD player can not handle it.