[MEncoder-users] Mencoder vs. hardware based devices...

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jun 22 17:06:19 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:58:16AM -0400, Brian Keener wrote:
> RC wrote:
>

> >Why's that?  Are you using some lossless codec like Huffyuv for the
> >initial capture?  Using either lavc's mpeg2 or mpeg4 codec with
> >keyint=1 will give you very fast encoding, and using far less space
> >than any lossless codec.  Also use something like "vqscale=2" (as
> >opposed to using "vbitrate=") for live captures.
> >

> I'd expect that re-encoding mpeg2 into mpeg2 would merely compound the
> artifacting/etc. that I'd end up with.

If you use qp=2 (or better yet 1!) on the initial encode there will be
essentially no artifacts to compound. Anyway if your final target is
mpeg2 (dvd/svcd) instead of highly-vbr mpeg4 or something better, the
quality will be somewhat bad anyway, so why do you care about quality?
:)

> I'm not sure what the keyint:1 would change, though.

Make it faster.

Rich