[MEncoder-users] Mencoder finishes early on DVD to Divx encoding

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at fastwebnet.it
Wed Jun 22 11:10:40 CEST 2005

>Rich, what we don't realize is that sending a patch to the list is not
>_that_ simple to Joe User: - you need to understand Nroff or XML, and
>know where the source is located so you may update it (not so
>straightforward when you only use binary packages),
>- then you need to know how to make a patch... (then you need to
>resend it because it's not a unified diff patch),
>- then you need to figure out where to send it... do you send it to
>Diego, whose is mail address is on the front page, do you sent it to
>the ML?
>- then you need to subscribe to the list, and send the patch (and
>resend a another mail because you forgot to attach the file)...

There are rules to do everything. Ours aren't that much restrictive.
If the contributor doesn't follow them he doesn't have
enough motivation, consequently the quality of his contribution will likely
be low

>At the end of this process, how many people are left?
>

>Ok now, just consider what you have to do to contribute to a wiki:
>- create an account
>- log in
>- start to contribute on the page you just read one minute before !

... and possibily contribute unmediated bullshit. Not a great gain for the
docs.
Posting docs to the ML in the form of patches has the great advantage that
developers who care enough will correct the parts of text that
they consider wrong or incomplete, as it happened countless times.