[MEncoder-users] lavc option nr

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Jun 21 06:08:24 CEST 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:10:09 +0200
Jan Paul Schmidt <jps at fundament.org> wrote:

> At the GOP boundaries a high quantiziser is used and it
> looks like the picture have a sort of pump effect

nr seems to confuse the ratecontrol.  Try your sample after 2 or 3
passes (not just one) and it should use a higher quantizers there, and
looks much better.

nr works perfectly with vqscale= if you need to do single-pass
encoding for some reason.

I don't know what a "pump effect" is.

> 	mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2500:vrc_buf_size=917:keyint=15:nr=400 -o
> pass1.avi episode1.mpg

I tried using MEncoder dev-CVS-050618-01:07-3.3.4 and I can't reproduce
your problem...  Without nr=400 I can still see the same shifting of
blocks in solid-color areas after keyframes, nr=400 just makes it a
little more obvious (less noise to mask it).

Perhaps this is actually a problem with your source video, that is
partially masked by the noise?  In any case, I can't reproduce this
problem, and I'm probably the only person who regularly uses nr...