[MEncoder-users] Mencoder finishes early on DVD to Divx encoding

Pete Davis pete at petedavis.net
Tue Jun 21 00:01:27 CEST 2005

Thanks that explains a lot in great detail, maybe a little more detail than
I really understand...

My CDs are progressive, so I tried the -vf pullup,softskip options with the
-ofps 24000/1001, but the video came out at 54 minutes instead of 44 minutes
which obviously didn't match up with the 44 minutes of sound

To verify, I played it in mplayer and got the message:
demux_mpg: 24000/1001 fps progressive NTSC content detected, switching
framerate.

Did I miss something in the parameters?

My actual full parameters for the first pass are:

mencoder -dvd-device ./ dvd://1 -oac copy -o /dev/null  -vf
pullup,softskip,scale=512:288 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:mbd=2:vpass=1:vqmin=2:vqmax=31 -ofps 24000/1001 -

Obviously my second pass is the same with vpass=2 and -o to the output file

I tried XVid. Unfortunately the video is jumpy in my DSM 320 for xvid. The
DSM 320 has a lot of limitations, but within those limitations, it's a very
cool unit. It's just required me to re-encode a bunch of videos which has
been a pain.

Pete