[MEncoder-users] Tutorial, DVD ripping with Linux, create an MKV.

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Sun Jun 19 21:18:14 CEST 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 11:38:26AM +0200, Federico 'Pain' Pistono wrote:
> Hi,
> I made a short tutorial about how to create an MKV from a DVD using
> mencoder.
> I'm sure many of you will find some mistakes/something to change, make
> better.
>
> Suggestions are welcome.
>
> http://www.federicopistono.org/index.php?mod=Tutorial/DVD_ripping

Nitpicks:

You mispelled BSD in the begginning (FreeBDS).

-hardframedrop and -vo null are redundant in audio ripping. when you do -vc
dummy, there is no video, MPlayer doesn't even read it. Also, in the
commented method of ripping to file first of the audio dump, you used -vc
null instead of -vc dummy which is MUCH slower.

"Audio codec OGG/Vorbis." - OGG is a container. It has absoloutely nothing
to do with Vorbis except that it was developed by the same group. Vorbis is
the audio codec, OGG should not be mentioned at all in that paragraph, it
adds to the confusion that Vorbis is OGG.

Non-nitpcicks:

You mention nothing of interlacing and teceline. Those usually exist in
DVD, and they have to be addressed, otherwise your encode will turn out way
more horrible than it should. Also you didn't mention the importance of
(down) scaling. It's OK if this is just a tutorial and you don't go deeply
into explaining these issues, but you should at the very least mention
their high importance, so people who want good encodes won't think that
reading this tutorial alone is comprehensive (nor that using your script is
100% fullproof. It's a starting point). Otherwise they will end up with
horrible encodes and not understand why.

- ods15