[MEncoder-users] Video bitrate 104857 kbps, video GOP is too long.

Brian Keener keenerb at roleplayga.org
Wed Jun 15 19:50:31 CEST 2005

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> Brian Keener wrote:
>

>> The mpegopts parameter you suggested eliminated the warning from
>> tmpgenc dvd author; thanks for the hint.
>>
>> There are also ffmpeg options for format= and vbitrate=, and since
>> I'm using the libavcodec from ffmpeg, I'm confused as to whether
>> those paramaters are being passed to libavcodec, or are processed
>> internally by mencoder.  What would happen if I had vbitrate=7000 in
>> my -lavcopts, and vbitrate=4000 in my -mpegopts parameter?
>>
>> Brian K
>>

> the last element (the muxer) would overwrite the nominal bitrate
> header written
> by the former element (lavc), but the real bitrate is in any case
> entirely dictated by lavc

Ah, I see, the vbitrate in the mpegopts is really only basically what
you want specified in the mpeg "header" then.

Since I hadn't passed that parameter I assume that the vbitrate in the
lavcopts wasn't used as a default value, resulting in a  0 being
inserted.  That assumption is borne out by looking at the stream
information in xine when playing the file; it reports bitrate as 0.
Tmpgenc dvd author took that 0 bitrate and basically had no idea how to
interpret it.

I understand now.  Maybe.

Brian K