[MEncoder-users] RE Duplicate frames when encoding from TV?

Carl Beech carl.beech at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 00:26:04 CEST 2005

>> As for the motherboard, its
>> an abit, however, my last board didn't have a nforce chipset either.

>I didn't say NForce chipsets were the only ones that do DMA properly,
>they just seem to be the only one that do it consistently. With a VIA/
>SIS chipset, it's a crapshoot to see if you get a good one or a
>terribly buggy one. Even with the major brands like Asus/MSI/
>Gigabyte/etc.

>> Thanks for the info about DMA - I'll look into it - perhaps moving
>> the tv board (PCTV Rave) to another slot may make the difference....

>Good luck, but I don't expect it will change anything.

You didn't mention anything about xawtv - as mentioned, I can get full
screen with no glitches?

As a matter of interest, here's the command line I use (in a batch file) to
perform the record - can you see any areas / parameters that might improve
the situation? (When I'm recording, I get a) jerky frames, but also b)
occasional frames that appear 'moved' - e.g. a person will be standing on
the left hand side of the screen, and for a split second they appear in the
middle - it's like the synchronisation of the screen was off?

Anyway, here's the command line:

nice -5 mencoder -tv
driver=v4l:width=720:height=576:input=1:amode=1:adevice=/dev/dsp:forcechan=2:volume=50
-endpos $2:$3:00 -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vqmin=2:vqscale=2 -o $1.avi tv://

- the programs run under root, so I can 'nice' the task to have a higher
priority
Param 1 ($1) = name of output file
Param 2 = hours to record
Param 3 = minutes to record.

My old command line is:
nice -5 mencoder -tv
driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:input=1:amode=1:adevice=/dev/dsp:forcechan=2:volume=50
-endpos $2:$3:00 -oac copy-ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=1800 -o $1.lavc tv://

Which gives a larger file - also recording at 640 x 480, but still exhibits
the same problems....

Thanks

Carl.