[MEncoder-users] RE Duplicate frames when encoding from TV?

Carl Beech carl.beech at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 08:36:09 CEST 2005

>> Theoretically the new board should chew through tv capture using the
>> same settings - but it isn't - I get a 'duplicate frame' message
>> about every second, and I get approx 24fps. - The disk drive light is
>> hardly 'on'.

>What is wrong with getting a few "duplicate frame" messages?

>As for V4L capture, I'm willing to bet you've got a VIA or SIS chipset
>(ie. not Nforce), and have just found out the hard way that a lot of
>motherboards just don't do proper DMA on the PCI bus, making them
>useless with (uncompressed) TV capture cards. If you can, I suggest
>returning the motherboard, and getting a different one. Buying from a
>major brand doesn't help. It seems the only sure way to get a proper
>motherboard anymore is to get one with an Nvidia Nforce chipset.
 - What's wrong is that the audio goes out of sync (which I can fix through
avidemux2), and I get glitches within the video. As for the motherboard, its
an abit, however, my last board didn't have a nforce chipset either.
 Thanks for the info about DMA - I'll look into it - perhaps moving the tv
board (PCTV Rave) to another slot may make the difference....
 As a matter of interest, watching TV directly through xawtv, I don't get
any glitches.....?
 Carl.