[MEncoder-users] Mencoder adding AVI file header to MPEG2 capture from V4L device?

Brian Keener keenerb at roleplayga.org
Mon Jun 13 15:49:33 CEST 2005

Brian Keener wrote:

> Oded Shimon wrote:
>

>> Also, I forgot to mention, are you SURE you want to encode DIRECTLY
>> to mpeg-2 from TV?.. you might probably want to grab it losslessly or
>> very high quality first, and then you can encode it well with proper
>> cropping and scalling and 2-pass into MPEG...
>>
>> - ods15

> Heh, NO, I'm absolutely NOT SURE I want to capture straight to
> MPEG-2...  However, I can't make that decision until I get BOTH
> options working well to begin with!
>
> *grins*
>
> Brian K

OK, here's a question for you:  It seems my CPU and disks are fast
enough to process real-time capture of video using filters acceptable to
me, that give good video output for this selected media.

Given those circumstances, is there any advantage to capturing in an
uncompressed/lossless format and re-encoding after the fact, as compared
to just directly capturing to mpeg2 from v4l device?  Assuming the
filters I'm using are the same in either case?

Brian K