[MEncoder-users] Mencoder adding AVI file header to MPEG2 capture from V4L device?

Brian Keener keenerb at roleplayga.org
Sat Jun 11 02:27:17 CEST 2005

Oded Shimon wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 10:27:54PM +0300, Oded Shimon wrote:
>

>>On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 03:18:47PM -0400, Brian Keener wrote:
>>

>>>I'm trying to capture home movies from a bt848 device to hard disk, in
>>>preperation for creating a DVD using TMPGENC dvd author in Windows.
>>>
>>>I'm running under Mandrake 10.1 for the captures.
>>>
>>>I tried initially to use FFMPEG, but experienced some really poor
>>>performance, so I'm trying mencoder now.
>>>
>>>Here's my command line:
>>>
>>>mencoder -fps 30000/1001 -endpos 00:00:05 -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc
>>>-lameopts mode=1:vbr=1:q=4 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=6000 -tv
>>>driver=v4l2:norm=ntsc:input=2:adevice=/dev/dsp1:width=720:height=480 -vf
>>>harddup -af volume=-1 -o tv.mpg tv://
>>>

>>-of mpeg
>>-mpegopts ...
>>
>>check man page for more details.
>>

>Also, I forgot to mention, are you SURE you want to encode DIRECTLY to
>mpeg-2 from TV?.. you might probably want to grab it losslessly or very
>high quality first, and then you can encode it well with proper cropping
>and scalling and 2-pass into MPEG...
>
>- ods15

What would you recommend as a good method of capturing high-quality
video, to be post-processed into mpeg2?

I generally use huffyuv, but that still takes up quite a bit of space,
and as I only have about 40 gigs of usable space for video capture I
sometimes have to capture at 352x240 or so to fit it all on the disk.  I
ought to upgrade to a bigger drive, I know, but  for now I have to work
within my limitations.

Brian K

Brian K