[MEncoder-users] MPEG1 with constant bitrate

Jan Paul Schmidt jps at fundament.org
Mon Jun 6 11:49:31 CEST 2005

Am 06.06.2005 um 01:57 schrieb Rich Felker:

> On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 09:57:24PM +0200, Jan Paul Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm trying to get a MPEG1 video with constant bitrate with lavc. The
>> lavc options are:
>>
>> 	vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=600:vrc_maxrate=600:vrc_minrate=600
>
> You forgot vrc_buf_size. Without specifying a buffer size, there's no
> such thing as min/max rate. The concepts don't even make sense.

I stripped down the lavc options to where it does not make any
difference. I had vrc_buf_size in it, but that did not have any notable
effect to me, so I throw it out to let mencoder use some kind of
default. I also tried vrc_eq=1, but that does not seem to affect
anything either, probably because I don't understand this option :o)
Hm, maybe I need a combination of vrc_eq and vqcomp?

If this helps someone, it's a three day old CVS checkout.

jps