[MEncoder-users] mencoder skipping frames.

AaronL alee at IfA.Hawaii.Edu
Wed Jul 27 21:39:49 CEST 2005

AaronL wrote:

> Rich Felker wrote:

>>> Sorry for the long discontinuity.  It's been a while since I have
>>> time to do some more tests.  So far I've tried "-mc 0" and the skip
>>> frame problem goes away but that causes a/v desync.
>>> I've also tried "-vf pullup,softskip" and this still cause skip frames.
>>>
>>> Finally, I tried using the "-vf filmdint" option, but the video
>>> still skips frames.  Here's my command line.
>>>
>>> mencoder dvd://1 -fps 30000/1001 -ofps 24000/1001 -oac mp3lame
>>> -lameopts
>>
>>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Did you read what I said above? DO NOT USE -FPS! EVER! Unless you
>> understand what it does.
>>

>>> abr:br=128 -vf filmdint,crop=720:352:0:62,scale=576:240 -ovc lavc
>>> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=768:v4mv:mbd=1:aspect=2.4:vpass=1
>>> -aid 128 -o output.avi
>>>
>>> It looks like mencoder is trying to keep a/v sync by skipping
>>> frames, but forcing mencoder to not skip frames cause a/v desync...i
>>> don't know what else to try...am I the only one with this problem?
>>>

>> Well you're mixing different problems. Try the above command line with
>> -fps nonsense removed and with -oac copy and see if the a/v desync
>> goes away. If so, try with lame. If a/v sync is back, it's a bug in
>> lame and you can work around it with splitting the audio and video and
>> remuxing after encoding.
>>
>> Rich
>>

> Opps, sorry.  I forgot to mention that I also tried it without the
> -fps nonsense and it still skips frames.  The command above does not
> cause a/v desync.  My problem is noticeable skip frames in the video.
> I'll try the above command again without the -fps and with -oac copy
> and see what happens.

Ok, I tried a couple of new runs with the above command, one with -oac
copy instead of lame and I get one skip frame for the entire 24000/1001
progressive section of the video, which is very good, but the whole
reason, i'm doing the conversion is for a smaller footprint.

My second run I tried the above command with lame, I get about 10 skip
frames and duplicate frames.  Some of the skip frames are quite
noticeable in playback.  Would you conclude that I have a buggy lame ?

I have lame 3.95 installed.  Is that a buggy version of lame to use with
Mencoder?  Is there a recommend version of lame to use?  Lame 3.95 works
fine for all my other standalone mp3 conversions without any problems.

What else should I try?