[MEncoder-users] Call for video encoding settings

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 17:59:09 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 7/25/05, jiho <jo.irisson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 22 juil. 05, à 23:48, RC a écrit :
> > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:56:16 +0200
> > jiho <jo.irisson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> indeed I wasn't aware of it. then what is the difference with video
> >> filters such as hqdn3d and lavcopt nr?
> >
> > They are entirely different.  Practically no similarities at all.
> >
> > nr requires nominal CPU time.  It removes temporal noise without
> > causing
> > worms when objects move.  It does not strip away fine details.  It does
> > not blur the picture.  It does not damage or blur colors. etc.
> >
> > nr does cause some blockiness if you use values that are too high for
> > the video, but far less than hqdn3d in any event.  For values up to
> > about 600, it improves PSNR significantly.   nr=400 seems to be
> > the best all-around value for most content, both visually and PSNR.
>
> ok, it's just better in every aspect then! thank you for the tip.
> (it seems that everytime I come with a "good enough" encoding method
> new options/settings come out so that I have to rethink everything ;-)
> )

Everything is available on the man page for a loonnng time now. There
has not been any recent significant encoding options addition to lavc.
The ones that are safe to play with are the one I used on those 4
profiles and the ones listed in greater detail here:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4.html#menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-lavc-encoding-options

Guillaume
--
I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up in the morning, that's