[MEncoder-users] How to convert an audio file? [solved]

Hans Spath ml-menc at hans-spath.de
Mon Jul 25 15:25:40 CEST 2005

RC wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 04:34:37 +0200
> Hans Spath <ml-menc at hans-spath.de> wrote:
>
>>Any suggestions / dirty tricks how I could achieve this goal even if
>>mencoder is not capable of handling audio-only files?
>
> mplayer -ao pcm

Thanks! That was too easy ;)

>>Btw. why can mencoder do an audio-only output (-of rawaudio) but can't
>>handle audio-only input?
>
> Perhaps it's to prevent people from doing something crazy, like using it
> as an audio encoder.

Crazy? I thought it's "Media Player" and "Media Encoder"; is it "Movie
Encoder" instead?

> Nobody wants an MP3 file inside of an AVI or MPEG-
> PS container.

Well, anything would be better than Real Audio ;)

> If you really were determined to use mencoder, you could use the "-
> rawvideo" option to make it happen, but WHY?

Yes, it does something then, but I don't see what exact options I need
to get what I want.

So I think I'll stick with "mplayer -ao pcm" and use beSweet or
something for the encoding.