[MEncoder-users] DVD to VCD Convertion

Ron Wills ron at rwsoft.ca
Sat Jul 23 19:45:25 CEST 2005

RC wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:37:46 -0600
>Ron Wills <ron at rwsoft.ca> wrote:
>

>>mencoder -oac lavc -ovc frameno -vf scale=352:288,harddup  -srate
>>44100 -channels 1 -af lavcresample=44100 -lavcopts
>>acodec=mp2:abitrate=128 -ofps 25  dvd://1 -o frameno.avi
>>

>First off, don't use frameno.  It's been depreciated for a very long
>time.  It's the cause of a lot of frustration for a lot of people.

  If frameno is depreciated is there another way of down sizing a DVD to
a specific size (calculating the bitrates)? I think I just might go back
to the drawing board. Instead of trying to cram a movie onto a single
CD, just keep to the VCD specs and span it across two CD.

>Also, I simply can't reproduce your problem.  Using that exact
>command-line gives me an AVI file with mono audio (using 1.0pre7).

1.0pre6-3.3.5-20050130 on a Gentoo System.

>Perhaps you problem is directly related to using frameno.

I wouldn't doubt it. I got this from an gentoo HOWTO, which is probably
an older HOWTO.

>>mencoder -oac lavc -ovc frameno -vf scale=352:288,harddup  -srate
>>44100 -af lavcresample=44100 -lavcopts
>>acodec=mp2:abitrate=128:amode=0 -ofps 25 dvd://1 -o frameno.avi
>>

>The "amode" option does not exist.  The only place I saw it in the man
>page was in the TV capture section.  It is certainly not a lavcopt.
>Stick to "-channels 1".

My bad, I just scanned the man page for mono :P