[MEncoder-users] fmp4

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Thu Jul 21 08:52:47 CEST 2005

> > > Yeah, that one got me too. Add -ffourcc DIVX
> >
> > It would be much better to use XVID (or DX50 if you insist). The DIVX
> > fourcc means divx4 which is only a very crappy limited subset of
> > mpeg4. That is to say, some players may choke on lavc files with DIVX
> > as their fourcc if they use any advanced features. IMO the best is to
> > use XVID if you need compatibility with shitty settop players, and
> > otherwise use the correct new FMP4 fourcc.
>
> The original poster was asking for DIVX, and that's what the older lavc was
> producing, so I gave him the info I was given. DIVX works just fine for my
> "shitty settop box" as you'd call it, so I'm going to stick with it. Maybe
> it works with his shitty settop box as well.

  Don't you see that this is friendly advice. Maybe you can use
XVID or DX50 and it works better, did you try? I know some HW
players even mention to support XviD, so for these I think it
may be better to use XVID FourCC as you can use advanced features
that may not work when FourCC is set to DIVX.

  Maybe some people here can test it with their HW players and
see if it makes a difference or not? I for my part can't as
i don't have one. But if some of you come up with useful
information i am sure it can be included in the documentation.

  Alex (beastd)