[MEncoder-users] fmp4

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jul 21 05:45:27 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 06:02:39PM -0500, Pete Davis wrote:
> > I am compressing videos in the same way I used to do with previous
> > versions, but the resulting avis are not playable now in my hardware
> > divx player. The difference is that now -oac vcodec=mpeg4 produces avi
> > with FMP4 as video codec reather than the DIVX that was produced by
> > previous versions.
> >
> > I'm using MEncoder 1.0pre7-3.4.1 built by PLF and a test file made with
> >
> > mencoder input.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac copy -o
> > test.avi -endpos 10
> >
> > Produces an avi file that with mplayer -identify reports this:
> >
> > ID_FILENAME=test.avi
> > ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=FMP4
> >
> > Checking avis made with previous versions they reports
> > ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=DIVX
> >
> > My hardware divx player only plays the audio when fotmat is FMP4. ¿Is
> > there a switch for instructing mplayer to produce DIVX instead of FMP4
> > or any other solution?
> >

> Yeah, that one got me too. Add -ffourcc DIVX

It would be much better to use XVID (or DX50 if you insist). The DIVX
fourcc means divx4 which is only a very crappy limited subset of
mpeg4. That is to say, some players may choke on lavc files with DIVX
as their fourcc if they use any advanced features. IMO the best is to
use XVID if you need compatibility with shitty settop players, and
otherwise use the correct new FMP4 fourcc.

Rich