[MEncoder-users] Call for video encoding settings

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Jul 20 21:48:39 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:
> vme=5 is experimental and currently same as the default of 4. why are
> you including it?

At the time I did my tests (a couple years ago) the manpage didn't
mention vme=5 being the same as vme=4. Digging into my old database, I
see that vme=5 indeed didn't alter the PSNR. At the time I decided to
include it because it seemed to be speeding up the encode slightly - all
three tests using vme=5 were faster than the default. Apparently that
was just a coincidence and the variation was within the range of
experimental error.

So, Guillame, go ahead and remove vme=5.

> also naq does nothing unless you're using adaptive quantization..

Hmmm.... Looks like I need to re-read the manpage more often. I tested
naq a long time ago when I was using the mask options you used to
recommend and the manpage was more terse; I had no idea what adaptive
quantization was and I kept using naq even when it was no longer needed.

> ..but maybe qns counts as adaptive quant.

No, it doesn't seem to. The outputs of -vo md5sum on qns=2 encodes with
and without naq are identical.

Guillame, you can remove naq as well.

-Corey