[MEncoder-users] More frequent keyframes

Pete Davis pete at petedavis.net
Thu Jul 14 22:24:20 CEST 2005

I set the keyint=30 in the lavcopts instead of using the default which gave
me the effect I wanted in terms of better fast-forward/fast-reverse on my
DSM-320.

The question I have is in regards to file size. I did two videos with the
only difference is one was the keyint=30 and in the other, keyint was the
default (250, I think). The resulting file sizes were very close.

My question is: Does this mean the overall video quality would be lower? I
just looked at the same scene in both to get a general idea and didn't see a
noticeable difference.

Just curious how that works. I'm guessing that when you set the bitrate,
it's going to manage to pack the video in that bitrate and that more
keyframes would just mean that it's going to reduce the quality to
compensate.

Thanks.

Pete