[MEncoder-users] Problem converting a mpeg-ps file to avi

Pete Davis pete at petedavis.net
Thu Jul 14 16:58:03 CEST 2005

> Hey guys,
>
> I want to reencode a mpeg-ps file to a mpeg4 avi file.
> Unfortunately mplayer say "The selected video_out device is incompatible
> with this codec. VDecoder init failed :("
>
> I startet it with:
> mencoder Refugio.en.el.paraíso.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -
> lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -vf scale=352:576  -o output.avi

In addition to the comments provided by Giacomo, you should also do 2 pass
encoding or you're probably not going to be happy with the results.

This is a common one I use. You may want to adjust the bitrate or other

mencoder infile.mpg -o /dev/null -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1100:mbd=2:vpass=1:vqmin=2:vqmax=31 -oac copy
mencoder infile.mpg -o outfile.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1100:mbd=2:vpass=2:vqmin=2:vqmax=31 -oac copy

Pete