[MEncoder-users] mencoder skipping frames.

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Jul 11 03:16:41 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 05:23:19PM -0600, Mike Hodson wrote:
> On 7/8/05, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> > -fps should not be used for cases like this. it will either do nothing
> > or cause a/v desync. second, 29.97 and 23.976 are _wrong_. the numbers
> > are 30000/1001 and 24000/1001.
> >
> > and... please do not top post!
> >
> > rich
>
> Sorry for the top posting.

And now you did the one thing worse than top-posting: replying
off-list! Please do not reply off-list!!

> Also was not aware that for outputting to an AVI file, that one must
> use the 30000/1001 and 24000/1001 semantics, i thought these were
> specifically used for mpeg output. I personally have always used
> decimals.

The 30000/1001 and 24000/1001 numbers are correct. 29.97 and 23.976
are incorrect rounded numbers that are NOT THE SAME. It's not a fatal
error to use them as long as your output format supports those
framerates, but they're not the correct framerates to match the
source.

> And, if i understand it right, the dvd is switching between 24fps soft
> telecine and 30fps hard telecine. Technically the mpeg on a dvd is
> always going to be 30fps, hard or soft telecine, or even true video.
> Shouldnt, for a mixed-source input, mencoder handle it as 30fps and
> then have a plugin remove the redundant frames, or fix the hard
> telecine and output without interlacing?

I don't follow what you're asking for..

Rich