[MEncoder-users] What's necessary in first pass of 2 passes

Pete Davis pete at petedavis.net
Tue Jul 5 16:40:11 CEST 2005

I have a 2 pass encoding and it's kind of slow and I'm wonder if I can
remove anything time consuming from the first pass without affecting the
overall quality. I read the docs and I was a bit unclear on what could be
removed and what couldn't be removed. This is from a bash script, so $1 is
the input AVI.

I assume I can do the audio encoding in only one of the passes. Would that
just be the second? What about the deinterlacing filter? I assume that needs
to be in there.

mencoder $1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -o /dev/null -vf pp=md -ovc
lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:mbd=2:vpass=1:vqmin=2:vqmax=31 -f
fourcc DIVX -edl edit.edl -hr-edl-seek

mencoder $1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -o newfile.avi -vf pp=md -ovc
lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:mbd=2:vpass=2:vqmin=2:vqmax=31
-ffourcc DIVX -edl edit.edl -hr-edl-seek

Thanks.

Pete