[MEncoder-users] Howto fix audio delay

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Jul 4 17:28:34 CEST 2005

Oded Shimon wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 10:07:58AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

>> I don't personally know of any reason why it would not be
>> theoretically possible to simply pad the beginning of either the
>> audio stream (in the case of "audio played too early") or the video
>> stream (in the case of "audio played too late") with 'blank'
>> frames during the encoding stage, such that in the former case no
>> sound would be played and in the latter case no video would be
>> output, to correct for the mis-synchronization, but since no one
>> has attempted to implement such a seemingly obvious thing I suppose
>> there might be a technical obstacle I'm not aware of.
>
> Yes, the obstacle is -oac copy and -ovc copy.
>
> Since all frames (both video and audio frames) are compressed, you
> can't just pad them with "nothing", you have to pad them with a
> legally compressed "silence" or "blackness". this is impossible if
> you can't fake the original encoder...

That's why I said "during the encoding stage"; -o?c copy does not IMO
qualify as "encoding", it's just remuxing. Nobody (at least among the
developers) complains about the fact that most other options, filters
and so forth, get ignored when using -o?c copy; I see no reason to
object to having a hypothetical -hard-delay option be ignored in the
same circumstances.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.