[MEncoder-users] converting a 59.940 FPS avi into a 23.976 FPS one

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Sat Jan 29 21:24:24 CET 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 06:31:23AM +0100, Tetsuo Yokozuka wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a 720p (yes, *progressive*) MPEG2 avi file at 59.940 FPS ripped
> > from HDTV, and I would like to convert it into an XviD avi file at
> > 23.976 FPS. I have read the man page, as well as the HTML doc, but I'm
> > confused. I can't find a way to do that without the video getting
> > choppy. While I'm at it, does it matter that the resulting FPS rate be
> > exactly 23.976, or could I convert the video to exactly 24 or 25 FPS
> > just as well?
>
> well first of all we need to know more about the source. this is very
> strange source. is it really 60 (59.94) distinct, progressive frames

It's not that strange at all.  It's what ABC broadcasts all day long when they
don't have native HD content.  It's NTSC upconverted from 480i-60000/1001 to
720p-60000/1001.  It could be telecined, but probably isn't.

Also, where did you get that 59.94 number, did you just type it in?  You
chided me for using just three significant digits in an email message, and
now you only use two?