[MEncoder-users] encoding quality problem

simone marchi simone.marchi at ilc.cnr.it
Sat Jan 22 11:12:12 CET 2005

> obviously you're just using a bitrate that's too low. use very high
> bitrate and it will look fine.

Hi rich,
I think this is not the problem because I use not very low bitrate
(more or less 1000 kbit, but the problem persists when I use more
high bitrate also).

these are to differents mencoder command I use:

mencoder file.mpg -vf spp -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=1000:keyint=75:vhq ....
mencoder file.mpg  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=1000:keyint=75:vhq ....

The quality of the encoded videos is the same!

But if I play the mpeg video with spp filter the quality is better!

I'm not sure but I think that spp (or pp) is only output filter
(i.e. spp doesn't not affect the quality during encoding video... :( ).

Does anyone confim that thing?

Thank you

ciao simone

ps: The mpeg file is encoded as VCD standard.