[MEncoder-users] Second CPU not used

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Mon Jan 17 09:43:28 CET 2005

On a dual opteron machine, mencoder only uses one of the CPUs.
I'm hitting 99.9% usage -- is there a way to use both?

I notice it when using xvid -- if I use lavc, the CPU usage is much
lower, and I can't tell whether it's using both CPUs or not. In a
recent changelog I see multithreading is enabled for -lavc -- does
that mean it's using both CPUs?

mencoder -tv driver=v4l2:width=720:height=480:norm=ntsc -ovc xvid
-xvidencopts bitrate=900 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -endpos $TIM
-o $DIR/$FIL.mpgtv:// > /dev/null

Dave