[MEncoder-users] mencoder + subtitles programming

Joshua Shriver jshriver at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 07:06:55 CET 2005

Are there any plans for mencoder to have support for a scriptable
subtitle system?
I'm a big fan of mencoder, but after talking to a lot of anime
fansubbers I've noticed none use mencoder because of the lack of a
scriptable subtitling system. The most common type used is SubStation
Alpha which you can use for everything down to effects, karaoke, etc.

If something like this could be incorporated, I think it would make
mencoder more attractive to people who need to do subtitling beyond a
basic .txt timed file, (effects, karaoke, text movement (rotation,
compression, stretching, etc)