[MEncoder-users] wiki (was: lavc doesn't work for me)

Frederik Eaton frederik at a5.repetae.net
Mon Jan 10 04:54:15 CET 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:56:03PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 08:53:30AM -0800, Phil Ehrens wrote:
> > D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > >
> > > no, it would make documentation horribly wrong and make it so none of
> > > the developers ever write documentation. have you ever seen free
> > > software with good documentation in wiki? no. ok.
> > >

> > Oh, ouch, it burns! We are trying really hard with the
> > transcode wiki. Please don't damn the wiki model, it can
> > be very good. There are quite a few FAQ-like docs in the
> > mplayer/mencoder documentation that would benefit from
> > wikification, IMHO.

And example code. I had a lot of questions reading the examples in the
manual - why that option? What if I did it this other way? I think a
wiki would help flesh things out out and get rid of the wrinkles.

> Well the docs wiki I'm most familiar with is the mldonkey one, and
> it's completely and utterly useless...
> Perhaps it can work for some projects; I just haven't seen good
> results.

If you decide you want to have one, I've set up a mediawiki before for
work (getting rid of the wikipedia references takes some effort but I
think mediawiki is the best option).

Frederik