[MEncoder-users] recording TV with mencoder on FreeBSD

Chris Burkert chris at chrisburkert.de
Thu Jan 6 11:47:24 CET 2005

Hi Travis and List,

thanks for Travis for his article at [1]. In my case watching TV works
like a charm, but recording doesn't. So maybe you can help me. I have an
old P3 with 700MHz running FreeBSD 5.2R using the following script:

#!/bin/sh
mixer line 100
mixer =rec line
mixer recsrc 50
mencoder tv://\
   -tv driver=bsdbt848:input=1:width=320:height=240:norm=PAL\
   -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=64\
   -ovc lavc    -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=500\
   -o tvCapture.avi
aumix -L

The problem is when I do not disable audio (with noaudio in option -tv)
the result is choppy for video and audio and out of sync. See a sample
at [2] (~700KB). When I disable audio (with noaudio in option -tv) the
recorded video is ok. See a sample at [3] (~700KB). In both cases my CPU
is for about 30% - 40% of the time idle.

I also put the output of the script at [4]. There are a lot of "Invalid
frame duration value" messages.

I hope you can help me! I will provide more information if needed.

Regards
            Chris Burkert

1: http://lickwid.ath.cx/~tlp/mptv.html
2: http://www.chrisburkert.de/tvCapture2.avi