[MEncoder-users] subtitles expand problem

jsuzuki at free.fr jsuzuki at free.fr
Wed Jan 5 12:53:10 CET 2005

Sorry, I sent the following messages to the mplayer list, but here is more
appropriate:

---
>From a DVD to a divx using the latest mencoder, I achieved placing the subtitles
in a black region below the picture using the -vf expand and -subalign 2
options.
The only problem is that subtitles "stick": that is the previous subtitle is not
erased when the new one comes up, which is especiallay annoying when a 2 line
subtitle is followed by a 1 line one.
Is there an option I forgot?
Thank you very much for your help,
---
* JustFillBug replied:
Yes, I had the same problem. Apparently with -vf expand=xxx:xxx::0
instead of expand=xxx:xxx:::1 fixed the problem. The setting seems
against the manpage but what do I know?
---
* to which I replied:
I found a way to make it work using the undocumented -nooverlapsub and
expand=xxx:xxx::0 but without cropping or scaling the movie.
If cropping qnd scaling is involved, it fails in both cases. My relevant options
are:

-vf crop=704:544:8:16,scale,expand=0:-50:0:0:1 -zoom -xy 640 -nooverlapsub
-spualign 2

Anything I can do to help debug the problem (I'd really enjoy that feature)?

John

PS: I am looking at the code in vf_expand.c, as I suppose it is where the
problem lies...