[MEncoder-users] Piping from mplayer to ffmpeg

Luke hintingMPEG4 at o2.pl
Wed Feb 16 17:53:20 CET 2005

Dear All,

I would like to pipe data from mplayer to ffmpeg. I would like to use
mplayer as a filtering tool and reader since it recognizes a great
number of media files and ffmpeg as an encoder - specifically I am
interested in generating m4v files (they pefectly fit mp4creator!!).
I realize that ffmpeg has a capability to read data from a pipe. I
couldn't however find a way to
feed it in this way with some uncompressed avi or other format that
mplayer could produce. Maybe it is better to use mencoder?? Which do
you think is better.

I am using CVS ffmpeg version (the latest has many improvements)

Thanks in advance for your hints!

Regards,
Luke